Urgent Help

Mental Health 24 hour helpline

Whether you experience a sudden deterioration of an existing mental health problem or are experiencing problems for the first time, you may need immediate expert support to identify the best course of action to help you.

If you are already being supported by Mental Health Services in Herefordshire or Worcestershire, you should try and speak to your usual team before contacting the urgent helpline, unless it’s outside of core hours, a weekend or bank holiday.

If you are not currently in contact with any Mental Health Services you can phone the mental health helpline for urgent advice

0808 196 9127 (free phone 24 hrs a day 365 days a year)

The team will offer advice, support and, if required, an assessment to understand how you are feeling. When calling the number, you can expect to speak to Mental Health Advisors and/or trained Mental Health Clinicians who will be able to listen to your concerns and help make appropriate plans with you to support you.

If you are unsure what to do, staff on this number will be able to guide you to the appropriate choice.

Other options:

Call 999 or go to A&E now if:

  • Yours or someone’s life is at risk – for example, they have seriously injured themselves or taken an overdose
  • You do not feel you can keep yourself or someone else safe

Mental Health Crisis additional support

If you just need to talk, any time of day or night

The charity Mind provides information about how to plan for a crisis.

Samaritans has a free to call service 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, if you want to talk to someone in confidence. Call them on 116 123

Are you a young person is crisis? Click here to visit the Young Minds website for more support.

Free listening services

These services offer confidential advice from trained volunteers. You can talk about anything that's troubling you, no matter how difficult:

If you're under 19, you can also call 0800 1111 to talk to Childline. The number will not appear on your phone bill.

Coronavirus and Mental Wellbeing

Looking after your mental wellbeing during the coronavirus outbreak

In these challenging and unprecedented times, its normal to experience increased levels of stress, anxiety, low mood or depression. But don’t worry it’s common and you’re not alone. To access a selection of useful links, tips and resources to help maintain your mental wellbeing click here.

Do you have a medical emergency?


Call 999 in a medical emergency. This is when someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk.


An A&E department (also known as emergency department or casualty) deals with genuine life-threatening emergencies, such as:

  • loss of consciousness
  • acute confused state and fits that are not stopping
  • chest pain
  • breathing difficulties
  • severe bleeding that cannot be stopped
  • severe allergic reactions
  • severe burns or scalds
  • stroke
  • major trauma such as a road traffic accident


Less severe injuries can be treated in our minor injuries units at; Bromsgrove, Evesham, Kidderminster, Malvern or Tenbury including;

  • cuts, grazes and wounds,
  • Sprains and strains
  • Minor burns

Visit our MIU page for more on information

NHS 111

Our minor injury units are not open 24 hours a day, if you're worried about an urgent medical concern, you can call NHS111 to speak to a fully trained adviser. Depending on the situation, the NHS111 team can connect you to a nurse, emergency dentist or even a GP, and can arrange face-to-face appointments if they think you need one.

NHS 111 advisers can also assess if you need an ambulance and send one immediately if necessary.

Other options

Patients should use the healthcare option most suited to their illness or injury. Alternative healthcare options include GP's, pharmacy and self-care.

Do you need urgent dental help?

Due to the coronavirus outbreak, all walk-in dental services are currently closed. 

Please contact a local dentist in the first instance if you have an urgent dental need.

The Urgent Dental Centre is providing triage and assessment via telephone/video call. If treatment is required then you will be booked into an Urgent Dental Care Centre for Treatment. Following consultation with a Dentist if a prescription is required then an appointment slot will be provided for collection.

The Urgent Dental Care Centres have been set up to deal with the majority of patients who do NOT currently have any COVID19 symptoms. There is provision for those patients who are vulnerable and shielded and also a very limited service for those who are exhibiting symptoms or isolating with a positive family member.

If you think you need urgent dental treatment:

  • call your dentist

Only go to A&E in serious circumstances, such as:

  • severe pain
  • heavy bleeding
  • injuries to the face, mouth, or teeth

If you're not sure whether you should go to A&E, contact NHS 111, who will be able to advise you. 

If you are under the care of a Community Dental Services: 

Our expectation would be for you to contact our Dental Team for your immediate dental management on 01905 681625:

  • Advice
  • Analgesics (pain-relief medication)
  • Antibiotics

If you require further urgent treatment, then we will arrange for you to be seen by a member of our Dental Team within one of our Urgent Dental Care Centre, as determined locally.


Are you concerned about an adult or a child at risk? If you witness or suspect abuse you have a duty to report it

If in immediate and critical danger contact the emergency services right away on 999

Safeguarding Children Contact

Contact the Family Front Door (01905 822666) Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm

Out of Office hours (5pm to 8:30am weekdays and all day at weekends and bank holidays) please contact the Emergency Duty Team (EDT) (01905 768020


Safeguarding Adults Contact

Worcestershire County Council – 01905 843189 Monday -Friday

Access Centre on: 01905 768 053 Out of Hours

An adult at risk is any person aged 18 years and over and because of age, illness, disability or a mental health problem cannot protect themselves from significant harm or exploitation